Brexit: Top things to do now

HM Government has released guidance to help businesses adapt to changes to trade and customs procedures, and changes to travel.

Rules for doing business with Europe have changed. While the deal with the EU means zero tariffs and zero quotas, businesses still need to adapt to changes to trade and customs procedures, and changes to travel.

Businesses should use the Brexit checker tool at for a personalised list of actions.

If businesses who deal with Europe are not ready for these changes, they could risk serious disruption.

1. Click on now and use the Brexit checker tool to get a personalised list of actions for your business.

2. You must now make customs declarations when exporting goods to the EU. You can make the declarations yourself, but most businesses use an intermediary like a courier, freight forwarder or customs agent.

3. Make sure you have an EORI number starting with GB. If exporting, you’ll need to check that the EU business you’re exporting to is also ready.

4. If you move goods into, out of, or through Northern Ireland, make sure you also check the latest Northern Ireland Protocol guidance. If you’re moving goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the free-to-use Trader Support Service will guide you through the changes.

5. The Government has taken measures to allow traders time to adjust to new processes. It has introduced new border controls in three stages until 1 July 2021, and agreed with the EU to temporarily simplify Rules of Origin procedures for 12 months to the end of December 2021, by implementing a 12 month waiver on supplier declarations.

6. For trade with countries outside the EU, check for any changes to tariffs.

7. If you’re due to travel to the EU for work, you may need a visa or work permit.

8. If you want to hire from outside the UK, including from the EU, you must be a Home Office licenced sponsor under the UK’s new points based immigration system. The new system doesn’t apply when hiring Irish citizens, or EU citizens already living in the UK.

9. You may need to have UK professional qualifications officially recognised to work in a regulated profession in the EEA or in Switzerland.

View the checklist as a PDF here >

Exemplas Trade Services Ltd (ETSL) has delivered the contract for the Department for International Trade (formerly UK Trade and Investment) in the East of England for almost a decade.

For more information on how we can support your business in exporting overseas, get in touch.